Historical Outline

Historical OutlineHistorical OutlineHistorical Outline

The first mentioning of Molodechno was made in the duke Dmitri’s letter to Grand Duke Yagalo in 1383.

It woas a part of Vilna province since 1413. During XIV-XVIII centuries  a castle was built for the defence of the town.  During this  period of time the castle was owned by the Zaslavskis, the Mstislavskis, the Sangushkas, the Ragozes, Radzivills, Oginskis, Tyshkeviches. At the end of the 17th century the castle became the property of magnate Oginski and turned from a fortified wooden fortress into a palace with a park and a greenhouse, a picture gallery and a library with ancient manuscripts.

During the Middle Ages important events took place in Molodechno. Negotiations between the diplomats of Poland and The Grand Duchy of Lithuania were held here in 1567 and resulted in the creation of The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpospolita) in 1569. In 1740 Polish king August III granted Molodechno the privilege to hold fairs twice a week and to hold annual fairs in spring and autumn.

As the result of divisions of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Molodechno was joined to Russia.

Napoleon stayed in the residence of Oginski during his retreat from Moscow. Here he wrote his last letter to Paris explaining the reasons of his defeat. Michael Kutuzov, the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Army, stayed in the Castle some days after he won a victory over the French Troops.

In 1814 the Molodechno castle was owned by Michael Kleofas Oginski – the prominent composer, the author of the famous polonaise  "A Farewell to the Homeland'. At the end of the XIX century the castle went completely wild and vanished from the face of the earth. One can find only earth mounds on its site, and they are considered to be an architectural monument of the town.

1864 is the year of foundation of the Teacher’s Seminary, the first one in the Russian Empire. The building of the former seminary, built in the late baroque style is now one of the major architectural sites of Molodechno.

The former mart of Molodechno now is known as Old Site (Staroye Mesto). Here one can find an architectural monument  of the XIX century – the Saint Protection Church (1871).

The town rapidly developed in 1970-1980s. Along the major transport artery which is the part of Starovilenski Trakt appeared the street , known as Vyaliki Gastinets  lined with significant town buildings.